When it comes to music ecosystems, cities share many of the same challenges. While certain patterns may be pervasive, we know the answers are not one-size-fits all. We always hand-craft solutions that are custom-tailored to fit the community they serve.
Our core offerings are designed to measure the existing music ecosystem, and develop an action plan building on those findings. We also offer community sound management workshops based on our unparalleled expertise developed by achieving a 70% reduction in sound complaints in Austin. Contact us to learn more.
+ Music Ecosystem Study
For cities and regions, this study provides a way to understand and measure their existing music ecosystem. It moves beyond raw data to capture a comprehensive look at a city’s music ecosystem, establishing a richly-detailed baseline of the current music economy, large and small. It serves as a blueprint, providing guidance of what to do next. The three key components of the music ecosystem study include:
- Stakeholder Engagement: Through interviews and focus groups, this step builds relationships, trust and gives constituencies a voice while also informing and shaping the the audit for each community. Before engaging with stakeholders, we carefully craft customized questions based on our understanding of what makes each city different.
- Audit: An extensive online survey gathers data from across the entire ecosystem of musicians, music industry, music venues and nightlife establishments, etc.
- Findings Report: This report serves as the roadmap forward, providing a comprehensive assessment of the music ecosystem: its industry, its workers, and its voice. The report compiles data and findings spanning both qualitative and quantitative research with a particular emphasis on insights and clear recommendations answering “what’s next?”
+ Music Ecosystem Action Plan
Gathering data is an essential piece in creating your music ecosystem strategy. Acting on the findings of the study requires an expert guide to build a strategy and implementation plan. We work closely with client leadership and vital stakeholders to develop key recommendations, pragmatic next steps, and measurable goals. Our Action Plan is designed to intentionally manage and grow the music ecosystem into a thriving part of a city’s culture and economy.
+ Community Sound Management Workshops
Community Sound Management is a practical approach for building community-based solutions to accommodate the impact of sound in today’s music cities.
Sound complaints impact a city and its quality of life for all involved. This tried and true approach led to a 70% reduction in sound complaints in Austin, one of the busiest music cities in the world. Don Pitts will lead participants through a workshop designed to learn the fundamentals of Community Sound Management, developed during his time leading Austin’s Music Office. Don teaches his street-smart and pragmatic approach, with highlights of the workshop including:
- Learning the partnership approach
- Identifying specific policy changes that support this approach
- Identifying the types of communication, data and measurements needed
+ Additional Services
In addition to the core packages, our team’s expertise is available to consult on:
- Sound Issue Management
- Music Policy Review
- Music Festival Sound Management Strategy
- Industry Expert Roundtables and Keynotes